By BOB SHRALUKA
The City of Decatur is moving forward with its adoption of a payment-plan setup included in its 50-50 sidewalk improvement program. But the payment plan will be limited to residential sidewalks.
Noting that commercial sidewalks tend to be larger and thus more costly, city Building/Zoning Superintendent Curt Witte told city council at its latest meeting that the payment setup will be available only to people in residential areas.
“We want to target the residential areas,” he said.
Under the 50-50 sidewalk program the city has had for years, a property owner pays half the cost of installing a new sidewalk and the city picks up the rest of the tab.
Witte explained at a recent council meeting that he has had people tell him they would like to participate but cannot afford to lay out enough funds to cover the 50% match.
So Witte and city Operations Manager Jeremy Gilbert worked out a plan that will allow a property owner to pay 25% of the cost of the installation, with the city covering the remaining 75%. Then the property owner would have one year to pay his/her other 25% to the city.
The city annually puts $50,000 into the sidewalk program.